[Cialug] HTML Editors

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jan 31 19:38:32 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM, chris rheinherren
<c.rheinherren at gmail.com>wrote:

> Which HTML editors/creators are good for getting a site designed quickly
> and easily. Maybe something that is WYSIWYG and/or has templates to
> automate most of the design functions. Any such animal out there?

Hi Chris, you've gotten a lot of good feedback. The choices of wysiwyg
editors for creating an entire website are limited. Dreamweaver is non-free
and doesn't work on Linux, but it is in a league of its own, there is
nothing that comes close.

However, if you were to use a tool like this you will find that after a
year or 18 months of regular usage you would probably need it less and less
until you will probably be as productive with a good text editor. For this
reason, I'd suggest looking for a used version on e-bay. You can probably
get CS3 cheap, or if you are a student you can get even the latest version
cheap.

I also recommend the Wordpress idea someone proposed. It's a great way to
learn web stuff. It's very easy to get started with.

That said, I would also suggest you consider theme forest [1]. They provide
ready made templates and graphic files that you can start using out of the
box. You simply purchase the template you want and customize it. You are
supposed to purchase it once for each project. The templates tend to be
very high quality and easy to customize. There are a lot of choices for
about $20 each or less. Another site I've used is Dream Template [2]. You
pay one fee and can download as many templates as you like for a year. They
are not as consistently high quality but there are many good ones in there
and value is nice if you'll want more than about 5 or 6.

The reason why I suggest these sites is because you can start with
something that works and then just tweak it here and there. It's a good way
to learn and it lowers the learning curve by reducing the number of things
you need to understand in order to complete something.

[1] http://themeforest.net?ref=newz2000 (I think there is a kickback or
credit if you use my link, feel free to delete ref=...)
[2] http://www.dreamtemplate.com/

--
Matthew Nuzum