[Cialug] PC-BSD - install sloooow

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Sat Jan 21 14:01:54 CST 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 01:22:06PM -0600, David Champion wrote:
> Have any of you tried installing PC-BSD 9.0?

No.  Are you configuring this machine for someone else?  I ask because
PC-BSD isn't an operating system; it's just FreeBSD configured to have a
certain look and feel, with a heavy emphasis on beginners and non-Unix
people.

> Usually a full desktop Linux install takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

Same with OpenBSD.  The other three projects (FreeBSD, NetBSD, and
DragonFly) take a bit longer but not much.

All four BSD projects include a package management system and package
repository.  If this machine is for yourself I'd highly recommend
looking at one of those instead.

Nicolai