[Cialug] Maildir -> PST

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Fri Jan 20 15:50:05 CST 2012

At 02:40 PM 1/20/2012, you wrote:
>This isn't quite what you're looking for, but years ago when our
>parent company told us we had to move to Outlook, we had a bunch of
>people that were using Netscape (or Mozilla, or Thunderbird) as
>their e-mail client.  That is, of course, stored in mbox format.  I
>found this java based utility which converted mbox to eml.  The
>resulting eml files can be loaded into Outlook Express (if you can
>still find a copy), and then in Outlook Express, you can export the
>files to a PST.

Hi Tim,

It's actually much simpler than that - append ".eml" to the Maildir
files and Windoze Mail is happy; I assume that also means they would
import into Outlook [if desired], but I have strongly advised against
that due to the number of emails (14K) and size (4.2GB compressed).

>I did a Google search for maildir to Outlook and it looks like there
>are utilities to do this for maildir, some converting to eml first,
>others look like they will create a PST file directly.

I did not see any that would do Maildir -> PST directly except for a
couple of commercial tools, .. but the quantity of archive emails
would certainly choke Outlook, and, since the vast majority are junk
anyway, using the normal Windoze file indexing should be more than
sufficient for analysis.

There are some commercial 'archive analysis' tools that will provide
a pretty front-end to the analysis, which is another option.

         TFTR!

         Lee