[Cialug] Maildir -> PST

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Jan 19 15:57:16 CST 2012

I've done this. I set up a computer with dovecot, a very simple imap
folder. Then I connected to it from my outlook and copied the files over.
To be fair, I was doing the exact opposite, but it works both ways.

If you were using Evolution (and hence not using PST files) I would warn
you that it has some IMAP bugs that can cause you to lose e-mail when
moving folders. Outlook, while buggy, is just agonizingly brain-dead when
it comes to IMAP, but won't actually cause you to lose any data.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Having extracted a large quantity of one user's email from the archives
> (14K message, 4.2 GB *compressed*), the next problem is how to 'show' them
> to management.
>
> > No local mail server (it is outsourced)
> > No simple way to get the file here to the lab without munching their
> connection
> > Outlook client for viewing
>
> Given that Outlook would most like roll over and die if we tried to import
> that many messages (and probably leave that user's PST in an usable state),
> .. and the apparent lack of any way to create a PST from them, wonding if
> anyone had a suggestion?
>
> One thought I had - apparently "EML" emails with Outlook are individual
> files - has anyone ever tried to convert Maildir files to .EMLs?
>
>        Lee

Matthew Nuzum