[Cialug] Slightly OT, .. AMD vs. Intel

Dave Hala Jr dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Jan 18 09:44:23 CST 2012

I used to be an Intel only person on the server side. About 4 years ago
I bought some dual cpu quad core dell servers. While Intel usually has
better performance in the 3rd party reviews, in practice I cant tell the
difference.

I'm generally a year or two-ish behind what the mainstream is. That
seems to be where the value is. I'm also not so cutting edge that I can
justify paying a premium for the absolute high-end hardware. My
applications just aren't so resource intensive that I require it.

Secondly, on the desktop I cant tell the difference either. For now, I'm
sticking with AMD due to the value. I just switched over to a quad core
AMD workstation and its been working extremely well for me. It runs w7
and Virtualbox with  4 linux guests.

:) Dave