[Cialug] DLNA

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:32:17 CST 2012

I use the PS3MediaServer on linux. It's a java based DLNA server tweaked
towards the PS3 and xBox as clients. It runs well headless, was simple
to install, and handles just about every media type I throw at it (the
hardest part was figuring out I needed to open iptables to allow
multicast packets in). It even does transcoding on the fly for formats
that the PS3 does not natively support -- and it was the first (and
still, only) DNLA client that could tell the difference between various
flavors of DIVX (some supported by PS3, some not). It also has a neat
feature where it sets up fake folders and fake video files -- when you
access them, they can change the settings on the server, such as
transcoding options, or restart the service.

I'm a fan, my wife is a fan.

Jeff