[Cialug] DLNA

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jan 10 11:30:36 CST 2012

I believe mythtv can do this.
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-February/280688.html

I've used the upnp before and as I understand it, upnp and dlna are related.

However, as in that post above, I was not able to watch recording using
that method. I was able to watch movies that are on the server - for
example, sometimes I convert movies and recordings to ipod format and add
them to mythtv's share so that they show up in mythtv. They're in a format
that many newer devices can read natively, while mythtv's default format is
not common.

I have a plan for this spring to switch to using mythtv for a backend and
something else for the front end. I'm just about fed up with the awful UI.
Therefore I'll be looking into something like this as well. (or maybe
www.ubuntu.com/tv )

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Claus <cniesen at gmx.net> wrote:

> I'm in the process of going with time with my TV and most likely dvd (aka
> blu-ray) player.  We don't spend much time watching stuff on it but it's
> about time to get rid of the CRT.
>
> Anyway, I came across "DLNA compliant" with some of the feature.  I don't
> know anything about that but apparently it allows one to watch videos from
> a DLNA server that resides at home.
>
> Are there *nix DLNA servers and are they simple to deploy?  Also are there
> any kind of content restrictions (i.e. some digital rights management)?
>
> Currently I have a smb server where I store mp3 that I have ripped from CD
> and a variety of home videos in various formats (avi, mpeg-2, etc) that I
> watch on the computer on occasions.  I could see it being nice to view them
> on the TV as well.  But I don't have time for a major tinkering project.
>
>  Claus

Matthew Nuzum