[Cialug] SDD drives (again)

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Wed Feb 29 18:08:28 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 05:35:42PM -0600, Dave Hala Jr wrote:

> If I can double the performance of the mysql server during .05% of the
> by time by adding a sata II SSD drive, it would be worthwhile for me to
> spend a little cash on a small (120gb) Partriot SSD drive and launch the
> sql server VM from that drive.
>
> The question is, would I notice a large  performance improvement even
> with the sata II interface?

What exactly is the bottleneck? Is it MB/s or IOPs/s? Is seek time
killing you? Is the bottleneck at your controller (meaning that
even if the SSD drive would help the controller would still
limit you)?

That said, you probably don't need to launch the sql server VM from
the SSD drive, just put the sql server database files on it.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/