[Cialug] SDD drives (again)

Dave Hala Jr dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Feb 29 17:35:42 CST 2012

So... I'm wondering... I've got this very lightly loaded virtualbox VM
running a mysql database server on an older dell 2970 server. (dual 4
core AMD cpu's, lots of ram)  This server has a pair of hardware
mirrored sata II ide drives.

99.95% of the time this server just idles. The other.05% it gets a heavy
reporting load. The sata II ide drives are the bottle neck.

If I can double the performance of the mysql server during .05% of the
by time by adding a sata II SSD drive, it would be worthwhile for me to
spend a little cash on a small (120gb) Partriot SSD drive and launch the
sql server VM from that drive.

The question is, would I notice a large  performance improvement even
with the sata II interface?

:) Dave