[Cialug] How to determine the cause of a Linux performance problem?

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Tue Feb 28 00:56:54 CST 2012

On 2/27/2012 10:34 PM, Pixel // pinterface wrote:
> Pixel // pinterface wrote:
>> [my VPS is suddenly slow]
> In case anyone is wondering: I contacted my provider, got migrated me to
> another host, and everything is back to normal.
>
> Required a little bit of downtime, but was pretty painless overall.
>
> Woo!
>
> Disappointingly, I have not received any confirmation as to the nature
> of the problem.  But I suppose there's no sense making too much of a
> fuss about that.
>
> Anyway, thanks for playing frontrunner to the helpdesk!  Next time I'll
> probably be confident enough to pester them first instead of annoying
> you guys. :)

I also have a Linode VPS.  Once in a while, someone will let their VM
gobble up more hardware than it is supposed to, usually because they
aren't paying attention or don't know any better (I've been guilty of
this before while trying to force Zimbra into a 1GB VPS until I finally
gave up and went back to postfix/courier/roundcube).  They used to give
you more detailed information about the load on the host machine when
you pulled up your Linode Dashboard for each VM, but now they just give
you some single "load" metric (mine currently just says "idle").  You
might have a look at the dashboard for your VM if you have any issues
like this in the future to get an idea of whether you need to call your
provider.

-- Matt