[Cialug] How to determine the cause of a Linux performance problem?

Pixel // pinterface pix at kepibu.org
Mon Feb 27 10:05:41 CST 2012

kristau wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Pixel // pinterface <pix at kepibu.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Greetings, Linux Experts!
>>
>> I've got a VPS [with performance problems]
>>

> Have you contacted the VPS provider?

Not yet.  I try pretty hard to make sure the problem isn't me because it
usually is! :)

> What is your Service Level Agreement for that VPS?

Oh, you know, "so many 9s or its prorated!".  So, not a lot of teeth
there.

> Depending on how densely they've consolidated their hosts,
> you may be suffering from someone else's runaway VM hogging
> up that host's resources or a mis-configured host/cluster.

Hrm... Linode used to advertise how many of each type of VPS was on a
machine.  Can't find that anymore, so I can't much speak for density.

I did however just stumble across somebody mentioning slowness on my
host in the IRC logs for Saturday (which would be around when I first
noticed it as well), so it may not be just me.  In which case, it's
definitely support-pesterin' time.

Thanks!