[Cialug] laptop wifi

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Feb 8 09:53:02 CST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Barry Von Ahsen <barry at vonahsen.com> wrote:

> does it work from the command line?
>
> iwconfig wlan0 essid <<ap name>>
> dhclient wlan0

Also, if you're stuck, you can unload the wireless driver module and then
reload it. Forgive me, I'm not in a position to test it now but iirc, it's
something like rmmod wl, modprobe wl. I had a similar problem with
connecting to wifi after suspending and doing that fixed it. As Lee said,
wireless networking has improved greatly in recent versions.

If you're brave you can upgrade to 12.04 which will also be an LTS version.
It's usually pretty stable by this time but you do need to plan to install
a lot more updates and reboot at least once a week.

--
Matthew Nuzum