[Cialug] stunnel or something else?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sat Feb 4 13:27:09 CST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would ssh tunneling or openvpn work as alternatives?

Well, I know openvpn will work, but I was under the impression that openvpn
was complex and the setup was multi-step, whereas stunnel was simple. :-)
TBH, vpn is probably quite a bit more complex than I want because there are
three other people working with me on this and I don't want to have to
worry about what OS they use and how to configure networking.

However, the ssh tunneling could work. We all have openssh keys and there's
even a Makefile for the project that has a 'make run' directive that could
easily build and tear down the ssh tunnel on demand. I will probably do
that.

Still, this begs the question, is stunnel no longer the right tool for
doing this kind of stuff? I had thought that I might use this same process
for setting up a tunnel for two mongodb servers to replicate.

--
Matthew Nuzum