[Cialug] Power Supply Tester

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Apr 1 22:03:02 CDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Scott Prader <rigrunn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you everyone that came forward!  I've managed to determine that
> the power supply is fine, but that either the motherboard or CPU is at
> fault.  The CPU is an LGA 775 Pentium 4 and I do not have a spare one
> sitting around.  The closest possible replacement seems to be around
> $70 in Urbandale and CL appears to be dry, but if anyone has a spare
> one that I could give a whirl, either by loaning or if I brought the
> computer to someone's house and plugged it in there to test, it would
> be much appreciated.

Interestingly enough, I had this happen recently on two computers. I
now have two sitting here with good power supplies and RAM but either
the mb or the cpu are dead. I'm pretty certain it's the CPU (LG 775
Core 2 Duo).

Instead of paying $70 for a cpu, if it comes down to it, if you go to
mid-west electronic recovery over by Sam's club [1] you can get a
whole new computer with a core 2 duo cpu and no OS for a little under
$100. I picked up two IBM workstations for $95 and there was a stack
of Gateways available for (I think) $85.

They actually had a whole tray of CPUs sitting on a desk when they
were ringing me up, maybe they'd sell you just a cpu.

[1] http://www.mcbia.com/ewaste/

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode, skype, linkedin and twitter