[Cialug] I'm hiring a part time sysadmin

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Sep 30 14:50:50 CDT 2011

Hi, some of you know that I've been starting my own business, SquareTap, a
mobile web app store with apps that work on all smart phones. Here's a 1 min
video overview of the business: http://youtu.be/5FmPOJgglaU?hd=1 I'm
deploying to EC2 and need some sysadmin help. Yes, this is a big milestone
for me, moving up from a one man operation.

I need the help of someone who can maintain the servers and ensure they keep
running. I don't expect it to take a lot of hours per week and I do think it
will be fun, challenging work. I'm expecting someone who has 5-10 hours per
week but who can keep an eye on things and respond at short notice if
something goes awry. This would be a work from home job with flexible hours
but I'd like to keep it local to the DSM area for now.

If you're interested, please send me an e-mail privately (if you hit reply,
check that it's going to me, not the list). If you don't get this right
you're not qualified for the job. :-)

Below is the job description. I'll post this to the website and twitter if I
don't get a qualified reply. Just want to toss it out here first. Contact me
soon to let me know you're interested and summarize your qualifications and
what you'd need for pay. You can send the resume later.

Tasks:

 * Help set up and automate a smooth running EC2 environment
 * Enable a system that makes it easy to scale the infrastructure on demand
 * Improve the reliability of the service by automating backups, simplifying
restores and setting up database replication
 * Monitor servers and be able to respond if something goes awry
(essentially pager duty, but I'll share with you)
 * Identify and help resolve performance issues
 * Simplify web application deployments
 * Improve logging and error reporting, maybe with a tool such as Django
Sentry
 * Possibly setting up an IRC bot to report on events

Skills needed:

 * Ubuntu Server (currently 10.04 LTS) management via SSH
 * Amazon AWS experience with EC2 and, ideally, S3, ELB, Route 66
 * MySQL (preferred) or PostgreSQL management
 * Apache, SSL and ideally WSGI
 * Scripting (bash or python preferred)
 * Puppet or Chef or Fabric, something to automate system deployment
 * Version control, esp Git

--
Matthew Nuzum