[Cialug] Ubuntu One for Windows

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Sep 29 09:41:31 CDT 2011

Ubuntu One is a service that lets you sync files, stream music to your
mobile and sync contacts/address book. There are additional features such as
app integration (for example Tom Boy can store its notes in U1). Everyone
who tries it out gets 2 GB of free storage (maybe that's 5GB now).

Recently an Android app was created which is pretty slick - whenever you
take a photo with your camera it automatically gets added to Ubuntu One and
pops up on your desktop computer. No need to sync or share. Also you get
access to your files in the cloud, can stream music and sync your address
book through the cloud. There's also an iPhone app but I've not used it. Not
sure what it offers but I understand it does have some differences from the
Android app.

Now there's also a Windows app. This is great news for those who have one
foot in the Windows world and one in the Linux world. You can keep your
files in sync on both platforms. I think this helps to allieve a lot of the
challenges of dual booting. And, personally, the auto-photo syncing for
Android is a pretty sweet feature. I know Google+ does this, but it only
syncs to the web. This actually drops it into your desktop's photos folder.

Here's the blog post with details:
http://voices.canonical.com/ubuntuone/?p=1241

--
Matthew Nuzum