[Cialug] Virtualbox under Ubuntu 11.04

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Sep 21 15:45:38 CDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> To all who have responded to my earlier question.  The reason that I was
> trying to do this is 1) to learn something about setting up virtual machines
> and 2)
>  to set up this machine with the ability to run multiple operating systems
> without using a dual boot arangement.
>
> I don't have any experience with any of the products mentioned.  My only
> experience with virtual machines was with a Windows virtual machine that I
> had set up when we were testing software installations and it gave me the
> ability to install software and then go back to the original point once
> again to try another software package on the same machine environment.
>
> I am also new to linux other than the fact that I have had a Samba server
> setup in my home for a number of years to share things between computers.
>
> It sounds kind of like the easiest method would be to start with a client
> desktop environment first.   If I were to start over again what would be the
> best approach?  I know that everyone probably does not agree given their
> different experiences.  Keep in mind this is not a production project but a
> learning experince for me.

Since you already have Ubuntu Server running, just do this to convert it to
desktop:

sudo tasksel

Then use arrows to choose Ubuntu Desktop from the list, hit the space bar to
mark it, then tab to select the <Ok> button and enter to click it.

Or just install Ubuntu desktop from a CD or usb drive.

--
Matthew Nuzum