[Cialug] Virtualbox under Ubuntu 11.04

Tom Sellers tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 14:55:24 CDT 2011

To all who have responded to my earlier question.  The reason that I was trying to do this is 1) to learn something about setting up virtual machines and 2)

to set up this machine with the ability to run multiple operating systems without using a dual boot arangement.

I don't have any experience with any of the products mentioned.  My only experience with virtual machines was with a Windows virtual machine that I had set up when we were testing software installations and it gave me the ability to install software and then go back to the original point once again to try another software package on the same machine environment.

I am also new to linux other than the fact that I have had a Samba server setup in my home for a number of years to share things between computers.

It sounds kind of like the easiest method would be to start with a client desktop environment first.   If I were to start over again what would be the best approach?  I know that everyone probably does not agree given their different experiences.  Keep in mind this is not a production project but a learning experince for me.

Thanks!