[Cialug] touch screen devices

Tim Champion timchampion at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:13:14 CDT 2011

I've looked into things like this, and thinking about the level of security
it brings.  I always make the devils-advocate argument that once a signature
is captured electronically, and that signature is tied to one document, what
is to prevent someone who has the skills and "rights" to the database from
taking that stored image, and fraudulently applying it to another document
that the person did not sign?

In thinking further, it should be that no 2 signature images are exactly
alike, so it should be possible to compare the stored images and make sure
that each image is only applied once -- using a unique key in a database for
example? Can a BLOB (Binary Large OBject) be marked unique?  *ponders*

making a copy of an electronic signature is akin to forging a signature, I
guess.  The other idea we are starting to look at is using facial
recognition (from the camera on a tablet) to do things like taking
attendance in a classroom - in our case...

The "original signature" issue is the #1 biggest hang-up for is in moving to
a paperless environment, so this subject is of great interest to me.

Tim Champion
timchampion at gmail.com