[Cialug] touch screen devices

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Oct 27 11:59:00 CDT 2011

I used a "Square" device that used signing with your fingertip. It felt
weird. It was a native app, not a web app though.

It's possible to draw. For example, I just tested with Khan Academy: if you
go to the site and it's the mobile, hit the button on the bottom to switch
to desktop, then click to do a practice, then click one (addition 1 for
example) then hit "Show scratchpad" and you can draw all you like. This must
be using Canvas.

I have no idea how you can submit it though. I don't know if it's possible
to grab the image data... (looking...)

Looks like, according to this you can:
http://www.nihilogic.dk/labs/canvas2image/

canvas.toDataUrl() base64 encodes the image as a png which you should be
able to send to the server using ajax.

Slick idea.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Dave Hala Jr <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:

> Has anyone done any signature capture with a touchscreen device such as
> an ipad or a smartphone from inside a web page?
>
> :) Dave

Matthew Nuzum