[Cialug] Restricted boot a very real possibility

Adam Shannon adam at ashannon.us
Tue Oct 18 14:45:30 CDT 2011

Jeff, those are my thoughts exactly. It makes no sense to shaft the
non-windows users because Microsoft wants nothing more than a
monopoly. By requiring that OEM's make a system that accepts keys and
then is only provided with a windows key it locks every other OS out.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 14:34, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:38:54AM -0500, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>> I often find the FSF to be a bit alarmist, but this is a very real concern:
>>
>> http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/
>
>> Microsoft has announced that if computer makers wish to distribute machines
>> with the Windows 8 compatibility logo, they will have to implement a measure
>> called "Secure Boot."
>
> a = the cost to hardware makers to develop and deploy the technology
>
> b = the short-term costs in lost sales
>
> c = the long-term costs in customer/platform loyalty
>
> If a+b+c is more than the value of having a little Windows sticker on a
> computer, this won't happen.  There are LOTS of people like us running
> Linux & BSD at home, and TONS of datacenter machines running "non-server"
> hardware.  This simply won't happen.  Computer makers will do the math and
> MS will back down in defeat.
>
> In fact, it is not open source that should be worried.  Microsoft is
> clearly threatened by SaaS and the specter of a free consumer OS that
> when combined render Windows obsolete.  (I don't like SaaS for many of
> the same reasons I don't like Windows, just saying.)
>
> Nicolai

Adam Shannon
Web Developer
University of Northern Iowa
Sophomore -- Computer Science B.S. & Mathematics
http://ashannon.us