[Cialug] Restricted boot a very real possibility

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Tue Oct 18 14:34:18 CDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:38:54AM -0500, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> I often find the FSF to be a bit alarmist, but this is a very real concern:
>
> http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/

> Microsoft has announced that if computer makers wish to distribute machines
> with the Windows 8 compatibility logo, they will have to implement a measure
> called "Secure Boot."

a = the cost to hardware makers to develop and deploy the technology

b = the short-term costs in lost sales

c = the long-term costs in customer/platform loyalty

If a+b+c is more than the value of having a little Windows sticker on a
computer, this won't happen.  There are LOTS of people like us running
Linux & BSD at home, and TONS of datacenter machines running "non-server"
hardware.  This simply won't happen.  Computer makers will do the math and
MS will back down in defeat.

In fact, it is not open source that should be worried.  Microsoft is
clearly threatened by SaaS and the specter of a free consumer OS that
when combined render Windows obsolete.  (I don't like SaaS for many of
the same reasons I don't like Windows, just saying.)

Nicolai