[Cialug] Where to find stale Debian packages

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue Oct 11 15:31:43 CDT 2011

Nevermind. I added this to my sources.list and was able to downgrade
Xorg:

#Xorg downgrade
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
contrib non-free

Now everything is nice and fast again! I'll just put a hold on the Xorg
packages until the problem between Xorg and Nvidia gets straightened
out. For now it seems the 2 organizations are still trying to decide
whose job it is to fix the issue.

On 2011-10-11 at 14:29:04, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>The last few weeks i've had a problem on my Debian Wheezy (Testing)
>box. The Xorg process often pegs the CPU at 100% usage for many
>seconds, during which time the machine is virtually unuseable.
>Iceweasel (Firefox) seems to tickle the bug most often, but other
>apps do it too.
>
>The last couple days i've been looking at bug reports. Turns out there
>have been a large number of reports against nvidia-graphics-drivers
>and xorg-server (both are source packages). It seems the problem is
>in the way Xorg version 2:1.11.1 interacts with Nvidia drivers. I've
>tried changing what version of the Nvidia drivers i use to no avail.
>So, i'd like to try downgrading Xorg to version 2:1.11.0. The problem
>is, where to get the packages?
>
>The xorg-server source package actually generates lots of binary
>packages, only 3 of which i have installed (xserver-common, xserver-
>xephyr, xserver-xorg-core). So i just need to get the previous
>versions of those 3. Any idea where to find a mirror that keeps stale
>packages?
__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu