[Cialug] 2 Separate Networks, 1 Location

Todd E Thomas todd_dsm at ssiresults.com
Mon Oct 3 12:40:46 CDT 2011

Hey guys,

I've just been asked to help a restaurant with their network. They have
1 network for their employees in their office, then they have another
for the restaurant customers to get wifi access on their phones/laptops.

Of course, these 2 connections should be separated and they are. As they
already had a relationship with Qwest, I had to get a block of static
ips to accommodate; this is the general break-down:

         Office LAN                    |         Customer WiFi
PubIP: 55.44.33.22 reserved gateway   | PubIP: 55.44.33.23 assignable ip
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248          | Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
GW: it finds the qwest gw             | GW: 55.44.33.22
Dynamic DNS Addresses from ISP        | Dynamic DNS Addresses from ISP
Priv:  10.0.1.0/24                    | Priv:  10.0.1.0/24

I know this is very little information. I've rounded out the picture
here
<http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?278495-2-Separate-Networks-in-the-Same-business>.

The basic problem is that if both networks can see one another, they
both work fine. If I them both set (as above), and they are separated
but - performance of both networks quickly degrades down to zero.

I must have done this dozens of times and I can't seem to find what I'm
omitting this time. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Talk to you soon,

Todd E Thomas
C: 515.778.6913
"It's a frail music knits the world together."
-Robert Dana