[Cialug] Postini and Graylisting

Todd E Thomas todd_dsm at ssiresults.com
Mon Nov 28 14:13:09 CST 2011

Claus, maybe this will make it less grey...

Greylisting  is a great method of spam blocking. So is Postini. But the 2 don't compliment each other. Pictures are good, so...

As Pixel said, you are essentiallygreylisting everything from Postini.
	Internet>  Postini>  greylist-box>  client Inbox.

Greylisting  is only designed for this scenario:
	Internet>  greylist-box>  client Inbox.

You will/have to/  decide which method you want to roll with to make your life simpler. Together they will cause head-aches.

Now, I have been usingGreylisting  for many years with great success. Coupled with Spam-Assassin it's an unbeatable solution for the cost, which is basically energy and time - no cost :)

If this appeals to you, bounce Exim, and try postfix. It's used more than anything else for a reason.Postgrey  <http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/>  plugs right into it easily by configuring a/postfix config file/. This will get you 97% of the way home. My solution works on its own or with ms-exchange:
	Internet>  greylist-box>  Exchange Server: client Inbox.

After Postgrey, pass it through spam-assassin and you'll be 99.9% spam-free. That's what I'm seeing. One of my clients got approximately 1,200 spam messages a day (multiply that by 5 additional users). Now they get a few per month, sometimes less.

If you don't want the hassle then check outZimbra  <http://www.zimbra.com/learn/zimbra-demos-cheat-sheet.html>. It has the best Web-mail UI in the business. Spam-Assassin rules are built when users right-click on a message and tag it as "Junk". Postgrey plugs right in. If you're using anything else you're making your job more difficult that it has to be. If you think it won'tscale  <http://blog.zimbra.com/blog/archives/2009/09/announcing-zimbra-collaboration-suite-60-50-million-users-have-spoken.html>  think again: Belgacom, Mediacom, Webmd, The DEA, et al, use it.

Or, if you don't have the time or inclination, sack it altogether and run with Postini. Its not as good as a hand-crafted system but it's close enough for jazz.

If you want the best and just don't have the time. I can help get you into the right solution. Call for details.

I Hope this helps,

Todd E Thomas
C: 515.778.6913
"It's a frail music knits the world together."
-Robert Dana