[Cialug] FOSS Incident tracking

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 17 16:16:41 CST 2011

I've seen companies use some pretty amazingly awful tools with great
success (Tom Pohl might know what I mean). I think that step 1 is getting
them to agree to use *any* system. Once that's accomplished (the agreement
part), identify one that meets your needs. I'd suggest turning off advanced
features and only enable then after users adjust in order to lower the
learning curve.

For example, in Trac or Redmine, just enable the wiki and the ultra basics
of issues (Title, Description, Priority and Status). Later people can start
using the due date field which will enable some other features. Then things
like assignee and % done, etc.

If you start out with a bunch of complex features then the barrier to entry
is higher and people are more likely to resist using it.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Josh More <jmore at starmind.org> wrote:

> I know that this is obvious to many, but I have to weigh in here... If
> you're tracking incidents, the critical element isn't architecture or
> feature set.  It's whether your people will actually use the system.
> So, instead of going off the recommendations of this list (which are
> good), spin up a few VMs and ask your team which one feels right.
> You're far more likely to build a successful security management team
> that way.
>
> -Josh
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> >> While not explicitly an 'incident tracking system', we have been using
> >> Redmine for years to track issues here; one of the best features is that
> >> it allows many diverse 'information models' by client/customer.
> >>

> > +1 on redmine. I've also used Trac which is very similar. At one time I
> had
> > Trac configured so that you could create new tickets by sending an
> e-mail.
> > If you want an e-mail interface, RT is hard to beat (but also a bit
> harder
> > to setup and manage).
> > The main difference between redmine and trac is that redmine is ruby on
> > rails, trac is python.
> >
> > --
> > Matthew Nuzum
> > newz2000 on freenode, skype, linkedin and twitter
> >
> > ♫ You're never fully dressed without a smile! ♫

Matthew Nuzum