[Cialug] Ubuntu 11.04

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Thu May 19 19:10:59 CDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 05:46:16PM -0500, Theron Conrey wrote:
> Open BSD isn't designed for the user is it?

While we're on the subject, OpenBSD is written for and by its
developers.  Since its developers enjoy everyday "user" software like
Firefox and gimp and so on, and use modern hardware, they are supported.

> Is it's goal to be installed on a laptop you could buy from dell or best
> buy for your grandma?  That's the level of user ubuntu is trying to make
> an experience for.

The OpenBSD community doesn't want grandmas using their system, and for
that I am thankful.  That OS already exists and it's called Windows, and
it's not very good.  If Linux tries to "beat" Microsoft at its own game,
maybe it'll win, but in the process Linux will be ruined.

> Your comment about going to the openBSD mailing list is the same as asking
> for BBQ advice on a vegan forum.

My comment about configuring .xinitrc, which prompted Lee's response,
showed a solution to the UI change frustrations people expressed in this
thread.  It was addressed to the people on this list, not to my grandma.

Ask yourself: is it a "totally worthless philosophy" for people on this
list to make basic configuration changes on their own boxes?  Of course
not: we were talking about different things.

Here is the misunderstanding: I was talking about how to fix the problem
people here were complaining about, while Lee (and maybe others) were
talking about how to beat Microsoft.  We don't have the same motivations
for using Unix.

Nicolai