[Cialug] Ubuntu 11.04

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu May 19 10:16:38 CDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Don Ellis <don.ellis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Don Cady <doncady at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> IME, Ubuntu is KILLING themselves with all these UI changes.
> >>
> >>        Lee
> >
> > Agreed. If they really want to tackle "bug #1", the thing NOT to do is
> > constantly change the interface. But, Shuttleworth seems to want
> > something like a Mac, and the UI folks he employs may feel the need to
> > show it's worth keeping so many of them on the payroll, so UI change
> > proposals seem to pop up _every_ release.
> >
> > Don
>
> "something like a Mac" -- One thing that would make it more like a Mac
> is if the interface doesn't change jarringly from one release to
> another. That's more characteristic of Windoze...

Well, every GNOME based release will get a jar this year. Ubuntu got Unity
and others will get GNOME 3.

I'm still getting used to Unity but it works well enough and I think it will
get a lot of polish this cycle. If you don't like change there is an option
at the boot screen to go into the classic GNOME 2 desktop. I expect that
will be gone next release because the 2d version of Unity will be
installed.

I hear there is a GNOME 3 PPA. A PPA is a repository for contributed or
development debian packages. You can enable it for your system like this:

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

Then you should do sudo apt-get update.

According to https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3, "This
package contains packages from GNOME3 and their dependencies so they can be
used in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty). This PPA is EXPERIMENTAL and MAY BREAK YOUR
SYSTEM. There is no downgrade process."

However, I would encourage anyone who's into Ubuntu to try Unity for a
while. It will help make it better if more people use it.
--
Matthew Nuzum

looks like work." -Thomas Edison