[Cialug] Can someone translate for me?

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue May 3 08:29:55 CDT 2011

What Theron is missing here is that the chmod command changes the file permission and has nothing to do with the extraction in step 2.  If you have the permission to do a chmod, you already have ownership permission and can likely read the file.  If you cannot, you just need a "chmod o+r", not a "chmod 777".  If you need to control the permissions of the files being extracted, you need to set a UMASK, not "chmod 777".

There is a security issue here that should be addressed before the documentation is written.

Josh More | Senior Security Consultant - CISSP, GIAC-GSLC Gold, GIAC-GCIH
Alliance Technologies | www.AllianceTechnologies.net<http://www.AllianceTechnologies.net>
400 Locust St., Suite 840 | Des Moines, IA 50309
515.245.7701 | 888.387.5670 x7701

Blog: Don't just blame the bad guys, it's your fault too
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/blogs/morej

How are we doing? Let us know here:
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/forms/alliance-technologies-feedback-survey