[Cialug] Promotion and Faith. (Was RE: A little something for everyone)

Scott Prader sprader at iastate.edu
Tue Mar 8 18:16:31 CST 2011

Okay everyone, I'm going to chirp in here, too.

I agree with Josh's standpoint on all of this, there comes a time when
discretion should be utilized a bit more heavily.

Now, as for the IRS, I think Tim is spot-on, but I'm not an expert on the
subject, it's just my gut-feeling based upon my own experiences.

I think what bothered me the most about the post was the fact that Brian
went out of his way to cross out the 'o' in the word 'Godly', as if that was
going to change the context or stature of the word.  It's sort of like
replacing a four-letter word with asterisks.... "what the ****?" The bottom
line here is that we STILL know what it means.  This sort of behavior has
been going on around the internet for well over a decade, so anyone that has
any sort of background involving the internet, mailing lists, forums, etc is
well aware that this sort of thing doesn't change the actual content of the
message, it just means that if a kid happens to read it, the intent, and
please correct me if I'm wrong here, is to make it so that they don't really
know what we're talking about.  The reality, however, is that people of all
ages have come to learn and understand these meanings much more often with
all of the connectedness going on all of the time with smartphones, facebook
and twitter.  You can't really say "wtf?" and expect people to not know what
that third letter stands for, and if they don't, they're surely going to ask
and find out!  Therefore, in order to avoid the entire problem to begin
with, to maintain a stature of professionalism, maturity and respect, who in
their right mind would post such a request with such language involved?  Is
there a rule or law that says we can't?  I'm pretty sure there isn't, but
there are such things as "common sense" and "common courtesy" regardless of
someone's personal belief system.  Of course, there are always those out
there that are looking to get any group of people riled up on purpose.  We
tend to refer to those kinds of people as trolls, and from what I'm seeing
here, there's a really good possibility that we're getting trolled fairly
well right now.

So, based upon this set of information, I have not yet decided if Brian is
seeking to get people all up in a huff on purpose or is just plain ignorant
to the way things are done outside of the sandbox.  Of course, if he's
offering all of this pay (not only to the hired hand but to any possible
middle-man) under-the-table and 100% tax-free without having to fill out any
forms that comply with Federal and/or State Labor Laws, then perhaps he
should be directing his query to a group that doesn't root itself in such a
system?

Just my 2 cents here folks, I've lived and worked in several different
states and, as far as I know, Iowa is no different from them when it comes
to possible deceptive hiring practices.

-Scott

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com>wrote:

> I debated whether I should post this or not, but, since there is already a
> firestorm going....
>
> I think it needs to be re-read.  At no point does he say "hire", he says
> "partner".  If company A wishes to partner with company B, they can exchange
> work.  And I don't think the IRS can dictate what companies a company can
> partner with.
>
> I'm appalled at the reaction this has drawn.  I've seen other topics that
> this list has discussed that are WAY off topic (I've seen people bashing
> certain political parties, tell me, how does that fit with a list such as
> this?).  This at least was looking for someone to develop software. I'm sure
> Brian meant no offense, but some of the comments that have followed (up to
> and including calling him a troll) ARE very offensive.
>

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 11:00 AM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'll add two points (along with the statement that I'm not a lawyer);
>>
>> I believe (please verify yourself) that barter transactions are
>> considered taxable income by the IRS. Therefore one could argue that
>> Brian's is an offer of compensated employment.
>>
>> From http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html'
>>
>> "Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which
>> prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion,
>> sex, or national origin"
>>
>> --
>> Tired programmer
>> Coding late into the night