[Cialug] A little something for everyone

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 15:45:24 CST 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I already have spoken up about this, I might as well keep going.
>
> Brian, most of the people had less of a problem with the technology aspect
> of your post, but most of the people I have talked to (both on and off list)
> seem concerned about the religious aspect, and the potentially illegal
> nature of your repeated religious postings -- which you seem to completely
> ignore in your reply.
>
> I'm not sure you understood why people are having an issue with your post.
>
> Jeff

Building on this thought, I would add that I take absolutely no
offense at the inclusion of religion in Brian's original post. Rather,
it is the discriminatory nature of the post which concerns me. And,
yes, there is a very fine line here.

To be constructive in my criticism, it would be best to state that you
are seeking developers for a project which supports a religious cause
or political goal, rather than stating that said developers themselves
should adhere to a certain religion or political view. It is a subtle,
but relevant, difference.

Examples:

Not good: I am seeking a Pastafarian developer to assist with a
project. If you know a Pastafarian who would be interested in this
project, please refer them to this opportunity.

Better: I am seeking a developer to assist with a project to further
the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's effectiveness in the
world. If you are, or know of a developer who would be, interested in
this opportunity, please contact me directly at . . .

In other words, it is enough to simply state that your project
supports a particular religious or political viewpoint -- people who
do not support those viewpoints will most likely not inquire further.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night