[Cialug] Avocent IP KVM

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Jun 23 14:30:42 CDT 2011

At 05:49 PM 6/22/2011, you wrote:
>All the Avocent KVM units I have used so far (single port to 16
>port) have relied on JAVA to deliver the session.  Even the unit
>that required software to be installed used JAVA. That might be a
>factor since JAVA isn't "everywhere".

Nate,

In doing more research, it appears that the remote "viewer"
application is DSView, and it requires a license server. Any idea
how/where to get "DSView" and the cost?

As it turns out, a fancy IP KVM may not be requried - I found a
Tripplite item last night that seems to offer remote web access to
the console hooked *TO* a KVM setup:

         Tripp Lite B050-000

         http://www.tripplite.com/shared/product-pages/en/B050000.pdf

Looks like I could use a standard 24 port box and just put this in
front - does that make sense?

         Lee