[Cialug] Install of Ubuntu 11.04

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jul 26 09:11:37 CDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I installed the above version of Ubuntu on my Acer laptop.  It did not
> automatically configure a wireless connection for me and when I attempt to
> configure  a connection to my home network I am unable to save the
> configuration.  I must be skipping something in the setup because the save
> button is always grayed out and not available.
>
> I entered my wireless network SSID and BSSID and also tried to enter a
> route to see if that was what was missing but nothing I have entered up to
> this point has allowed the save button to be available so that the profile
> can be saved.  I also entered the WEP key but that did not help either.
>
> Ideas?

It is possible that your wifi card needs a non-open source driver. If
possible, what I would suggest is connecting temporarily using ethernet and
install any updates, then run the "hardware drivers" program. I'm not
running Unity at the moment so am going from memory but if you type in the
search box "drivers" you should see it pop open.

--
Matthew Nuzum