[Cialug] Cialug Beginnings

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Jul 20 15:28:57 CDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, John Lengeling wrote:

> C is extensively used in Telecommunications/Networking industry, followed by C++.

C is the foundation upon which all programming is built, .. most current
programming languages are built ON that foundation.

> Also all that you learn in C or C++ helps you when you start learning
> any C influenced languages like:
>
> Java, Perl, Python, PHP, JavaScript, Go  etc.

These are all "application programming languages", and, as such, each is
designed for a specific environment and incurs the penalties associated
with not being a 'base' language.

C is also the simplest to master - I don't think anyone would debate the
point that most other compiled languages are much more complex, both from
a syntax as well as library standpoint.

> C as a language represents all that is archaic and old.

Well, if C ia 'archaic and old', how come EVERY operating system and EVERY
system application out there is written in it?

Take away C and you take away computing!

> At least use something object oriented. C++, Java, C# and Go are
> examples.

If you want to build applications, go ahead - most application languages
are much more in demand.

C, OTOH, is the language of the Internet - open any Open Source component
and you're in C.

	Lee