[Cialug] Cialug Beginnings

Kenneth Younger kenny at sheerfocus.com
Wed Jul 20 15:12:44 CDT 2011

I never learned straight C, but in college took C++ all the way through to
the senior level, where we manually compiled the C++ down into C (at least
theoretically). Learning that taught me a lot about memory management and
linking, object data structuring, call stacks, how compilers and the people
that write them think, etc. Honestly would never have found the time to
learn that on my own. Along those lines - one class I never took was
assembler, and now it's on my bucket list of concepts to learn.

Just never let people try and convince you that "learning the low level
stuff is the only way you'll be a good programmer", because then I ask them
why they don't fully understand quantum mechanics, and then they shut up. ;)
Also, flame wars can be fun, e.g. vim is better than emacs.

I've never written a line of C or C++ since then, but like to think I can at
least read it and generally understand it. If you want to have a career in
programming, then having some familiar with the low level stuff is probably
helpful (not sure if that's the origin of this conversation at this point,
but I'm too lazy to read back down through).

-Kenny

Kenneth Younger III
Founder, Sheer Focus Inc.
e: kenny at sheerfocus.com