[Cialug] Cialug Beginnings

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Jul 20 11:38:40 CDT 2011

0) Hiring managers want to hear about personal projects if they're good ones.  I have many great discussions about my Trouble-Maker project because I can demonstrate business value.  I once recommended against hiring someone whose project was to put up a caching server at his school to reduce the bandwidth that students were using to steal music and movies.

1) Certifications are important, but they are not equally important.  Their value also goes down as your experience goes up.  Their individual value also goes down the more you have.  They are not the magic "door openers" that a lot of entry-level people seem to think.

2) Coding certifications specifically are generally not worth your time.  Don't pursue a C certification, join a C-based open source project and contribute.  This will make you more searchable and help to address #0 above.

Josh More | Senior Security Consultant - CISSP, GIAC-GSLC Gold, GIAC-GCIH
Alliance Technologies | www.AllianceTechnologies.net<http://www.AllianceTechnologies.net>
400 Locust St., Suite 840 | Des Moines, IA 50309
515.245.7701 | 888.387.5670 x7701

Blog: Public attacks are on the rise.  Are you protecting yourself?
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/blogs/morej

How are we doing? Let us know here:
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/forms/alliance-technologies-feedback-survey