[Cialug] Freeing disk space

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Jul 14 18:38:13 CDT 2011

No, it won't touch established sessions (unless something is really borked).

And Paul is right.  In the Debian world, the init levels are different.  More details will help.  I picked 3 and 5 because I seemed to remember that you preferred SUSE systems, and that method should work on SUSE and RedHat/Fedora-based systems.

However, be aware that if the problem is that an X subsystem is running but not running correctly, the *dm restart may not fix the problem.  That's why I went to init levels.  That should stop all X-related services and restart them.

Josh More | Senior Security Consultant - CISSP, GIAC-GSLC Gold, GIAC-GCIH
Alliance Technologies | www.AllianceTechnologies.net
400 Locust St., Suite 840 | Des Moines, IA 50309
515.245.7701 | 888.387.5670 x7701

Blog: Public attacks are on the rise.  Are you protecting yourself?
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/blogs/morej

How are we doing? Let us know here:
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/forms/alliance-technologies-feedback-survey