[Cialug] looking for new hosting

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 6 12:12:55 CDT 2011

The only hosting company I've used that doesn't suck is
http://phpwebhosting.com/
They care about performance, they don't give "unlimited" stuff but if you
ever run out of some resource and you're not being abusive, just contact
them and they'll increase your limits.

And you can actually get in touch with real people if you need help. They're
a top notch service. I left them when I started running my own servers and
frankly even I can't provide that same level of service to myself.

I've used Godaddy, bluehost, fatcow and ehost. Bluehost is my second
favorite simply because they have such a versatile configuration. However
I've found that their quality of service varies dramatically from one server
to another and they just don't have the same level of support.

I'm sure there are other non-sucky web hosts but I've not used them. :-)

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM, jrnosee <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running a Joomla 1.6 based site for my townhomes.  Currently we're on
> GoDaddy.  I've recently discovered just how much GoDaddy sucks!  I'm looking
> for a new hosting/domain registrar that we can switch to when our term is up
> (in February) or sooner.  GoDaddy is blocking easy access to send mail from
> Joomla for one, and is extremely slow for another.  Optimally I'd like to
> find some place I can host a physical box or at least a VM, but price will
> be a pain point.  So far we've had minimal traffic to the site and I'm sure
> our board doesn't want to spend more than necessary until we see merit.
>
> Please let me know if anyone's got some suggestions.

Matthew Nuzum