[Cialug] Media Center...

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Mon Jan 24 06:48:01 CST 2011

On 01/24/2011 02:17 AM, David Runneals wrote:
> Hello Geeks,
> I was looking for a good os to put on a media center box (it's an old
> Dell Optiplex Desktop)... Was wondering if there is a good OS you would
> recommend for it. I have OTA programming only, and no cable. I would
> like to be able to save shows and watch them on my laptop and TV later &
> for it to play DVDs. I also need it to have a decent web browser for
> netflix and pandora. I assume I would need to get a tv tuner & a
> graphics card with HDMI out.

MythTV does everything you want above and much more, EXCEPT for Netflix.  You'll
need a non-Linux OS for that.

MythTV installs on any of the Linux distributions.  If you want an
install-and-done approach, look at Mythbuntu or the other MythTV-integrated
distributions.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\