[Cialug] [Slightly OT] High-speed DSL availability in DSM metro

Matthew Steven matthew at geniusweb.com
Wed Jan 19 21:59:16 CST 2011

Looks like this is haha is from Ames today:

http://idle.slashdot.org/story/11/01/19/2116252/DSL-Installation-Fail

/"Here's an example of fine Qwest workmanship. In our business park,
they just installed a DSL connection
<http://picasaweb.google.com/bablakely/QwestFail#> for our neighbors,
for which we share an exterior utility space. They left: a DSL modem
stuffed in a cardboard box, wrapped in a Wal-Mart bag, sitting outside
in what will be below-zero (F) temps, on top of a bank of ten natural
gas meters in some of the driest air of the year. They also left it
plugged into an exposed exterior power outlet above a snowbank, with
network cables running around the building, through snowbanks, coupled
and protected by zip-lock baggies, and into our neighbors office. Not to
mention the hack-job of patching the phone cable directly into the
demarcation box. And if you're wondering — I was told upon calling them
that this is not their problem, and I need to contact my primary phone
service provider."

/

--
Matthew Steven