[Cialug] [Slightly OT] High-speed DSL availability in DSM metro

David Bierce david at bierce.org
Wed Jan 19 19:24:52 CST 2011

I've lived in Ames, Urbandale and now Altoona.  The fasted DSL connection I've ever been able to have was just under 1.5MBit.  There doesn't seem to much upgrading in the older parts of towns.  There are lots of good reasons why it would be expensive, but it does mean Mediacom wins in those areas for people that want more than a meg.

--

Qwest has been doing silly things, (at least in Ames) that just diminish their service.  It took me 10 phone calls and about 4 visits from a qwest contractor to convince them that regardless of what their system and their marketing guys say, south Ames has no Qwest fiber.  It's all copper from the dmarc to the CO.  After that, the contractor made sure there was a pair at the panel but didn't tag them.  Overall worst DSL install ever, until I need a second line and had to go through the same process, except the new line's pairs were terminated in a box no where near the lines for the building so the cross connect runs bare over over a gas pipe over  5 other pairs for 10 feet.....(This was November 2010).  I have little hope of them upgrading their old facilities in the places I'm going to be living anytime soon Des Moines or otherwise.

--

Having worked at CenturyTel (Now CenturyLink) I don't know what this merger/stock swap will do to Qwest.  CenturyTel has been in total denial about the trend for the incumbent carrier to be bit pushers and not a premium voice carrier™.  As recently as 4 years ago, in all markets, the company mantra was it was technically impossible to just get DSL service without dial tone.  That said, as a company they've kind of woken up to the fact they might want to be a good ISP and hope to make premium bundling but they've spent the last 30 years exempt from all monopoly laws and in most of thier markets been able to make money through astronomically high Tariffed rates.  They are a little late to the party, but it'll be interesting to see where the merged beast goes.

They recently they have been getting a little better and have been trying IPTV in a few markets which required them to upgrade their networks, but they've suck at data transport so the services fall flat.