[Cialug] Amazon Elastic Beanstalk

bofh at visi.com bofh at visi.com
Wed Jan 19 14:32:49 CST 2011

This just popped into my inbox, and is what I've been
preaching (and receiving "that poor deranged man" pitying
looks as a result) for over a decade.  It uses Amazon's
Linux AMI by default, and although Java only now, it
sounds as if they're looking at other language ecosystems
as well.  All in all, this will have an impact on the
sysadmin profession.

AWS Elastic Beanstalk is an even easier way for you to
quickly       deploy and manage applications in the AWS
cloud.  You simply
       upload your application, and Elastic Beanstalk
automatically
       handles the deployment details of capacity
provisioning, load
       balancing, auto-scaling, and application health
monitoring.  At
       the same time, with Elastic Beanstalk, you retain
full control
       over the AWS resources powering your application
and can access
       the underlying resources at any time.  Elastic
Beanstalk
       leverages AWS services such as Amazon EC2, Amazon
S3, Amazon
       Simple Notification Service, Elastic Load
Balancing, and
       Auto-Scaling to deliver the same highly reliable,
scalable, and
       cost-effective infrastructure that hundreds of
thousands of
       businesses depend on today.  AWS Elastic Beanstalk
is easy to
       begin and impossible to outgrow.

http://aws.amazon.com/elasticbeanstalk/