[Cialug] [Slightly OT] High-speed DSL availability in DSM metro

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Wed Jan 19 14:26:59 CST 2011

I think there might be some confusion as to what it actually costs to do the FTTN upgrades/installs. We (Internet Solver) have done similar projects but not on the same scale as Qwest obviously. From what we have seen, just the equipment in the box on the side of the road is $10k+, then add in the labor to set the pedestal, bring the fiber to the area, etc, it's easily $30k on up. Cities are divided up into distribution areas which usually have 100-200 homes in them. You need to install a box like this in each distribution area. There is also the problem of right of way, getting permission to install the box, getting permits, getting power, etc. After you get all of this outside work done, you need to aggregate all of the fiber and route the traffic. I've seen some of the equipment that has been installed to support this and it's absolutely massive and brutally expensive.

dave

--
Dave Weis
515-224-9229
djweis at internetsolver.com
http://www.internetsolver.com/
Please check out our Complete Support Service
http://www.internetsolver.com/completesupport/