[Cialug] Laptop Repair

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Wed Feb 23 10:37:35 CST 2011

I am in need of finding someone to repair a laptop.  It's an HP Pavilion.

Here's the situation:

The fluorescent light for the display went out just before my daughter came home for Christmas.  We tried to get it repaired but ended up getting her a new laptop before she left to go back to college after Christmas.

At that point it would work if it was hooked up to an external monitor and under just the right light you could tell that there was something on the display, although it was very difficult to read under any lighting.

A college classmate of my son set himself up in the computer repair business and he came out and disassembled the computer and discovered that it would take soldiering to get the light working again.  He didn't bring a soldering iron and my soldiering gun was way too big to use on delicate computer parts.

After a year of asking about it, cajoling, pleading, and finally asking my son for his address so I could go knock on his door and ask for it back I have it back but it is still disassembled.  Supposedly all the parts are there.

Who is reputable at installing new lights and putting it back together again?  And how much should I have to spend to get it working again?
Thanks,
Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
Technology Infrastructure Services
TPF Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-037
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (515) 343-6630  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com<mailto:MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com>
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."