[Cialug] OT: Two hardware problems

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 16:42:55 CST 2011

I agree with both opinions.
Any dust accumulation will certainly interfere with cooling, and
should be removed by any means necessary.
Operation on a hard surface (scratch that -- ABOVE a hard surface)
will improve cooling
Addition of an external fan can significantly improve performance.

My first really fine laptop, a Mac PowerBook 2000 (Pismo) was really
powerful, and got pretty warm. I felt better using a lifter I got from
Other World Computing (not sure of the brand, or whether it was house
brand), which was cited as improving reliability. It was several years
before I realized it had a fan -- ran really quiet.

When I got a MacBook, I eventually picked up several pads with
built-in USB fans, one from Targus, one (that folds up to a really
small size) from Radio Shack.

Recently, I've noticed quite a number of these pads in wide range of
size and features at Micro Center. Latest models include built in USB
2 hub, however I have yet to find one that includes a power supply to
plug into the DC input in the pad; as purchased, all power to run the
fans and hub would come from the USB port on the laptop. And, I've
found really cheap USB 2 hubs that don't get enough power from their
AC adapters to run a USB external drive. If you get one of these
cooling pads, would be good to shop around for an AC adapter to get
full functionality.

--Don Ellis