[Cialug] OT: Two hardware problems

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Feb 18 13:28:56 CST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Sometimes you can fix the overheating issue by opening it up, and cleaning
> the dust from the cooling fan, and there's usually a small radiator for the
> heat pipe, these get clogged pretty easily, especially if you have pets at
> home.

This exact thing happened to a laptop I had. Removing the keyboard allowed
access to the cpu fan and heat sink which had a a layer of dust and cat hair
just thick enough to pretty much completely block the airflow. Cleaning that
dust off caused the computer to return to good as new.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin