[Cialug] VOIP move

Jonathan C. Bailey jbailey at co.marshall.ia.us
Wed Dec 28 17:01:11 CST 2011

I'll second Aastra phones. We have ~270 phones in production on our Asterisk-based PBX(s). A large majority are Aastra 9143i (~$120) and 57i (~$200). We've also used Citel TVAs (reuse your old phones/wiring in some cases), Polycom Soundpoint (for conferencing), Snom PA1 (works great for paging), and even a few Nortel video phones.

For OPX, take a look at the Snom 370 - it supports OpenVPN on the phone (although we aren't using any of those in production). We ended up using ALIX boards with Voyage Linux and OpenVPN for all our off-site needs.

One last recommendation - PSTN interfaces. I *really* like the Sangoma T1 cards. They just work. Our main site has a dual port card for the incoming PRI and a channel bank for the (few) analog devices left. I've never had one of these fail me. We've also used their analog cards in the past, and they also tend to just work.

-Jon