[Cialug] Wanted: Used Rackmount Server

Pixel // pinterface pix at kepibu.org
Tue Dec 20 18:33:29 CST 2011

Matt Stanton wrote:
[snipped server specs]
>> Two of these servers were given to me for free by the LUG group, so
>> I wouldn't charge for them, but I have put some money into upgrading
>> them, mostly in the RAM and drives.  I'd like to recoup some of that
>> money if you want one of the machines I upgraded.  I did purchase
>> the 3.2GHz 1750 from eBay for $150, so I'd sell it for $75 or
>> whatever seems fair if you want that one.  In any case, you could
>> have all three of the servers and a 21U rack for far less than $500.
>> I'd even sell you my fibre-channel array for super cheap!

Clearly I should have e-mailed the list earlier!  As it happens I've
already gotten myself a rack off Craigslist[*].  That being said, the
rack I'm currently populating has some funky '?'-shaped uprights, and
I've got rails for another rackmounted item that don't fit because of
it.  So I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at your rack.

The servers, on the other hand, I'll probably pass on.  I'm planning on
VMs in the hopes that one server won't have quite the electric bill as
several.  We've got enough desktops around here sucking power already;
I'm trying to consolidate hardware, not expand it. :)

Actually, the fibre-channel array strikes my curiosity, too.

>> If you're interested in anything, let me know.  I don't use them
>> anymore because I can't really get to them very easily anymore.

Definitely interested in knowing more about some of it, possibly taking
a few things off your hands.  Though we should probably move that
conversation off-list.

[*] Actually, I got two.  There was a /really/ good deal on a 42U (might
be 44U, actually) Greak Lakes rack, but it turned out to be just too big
for my space, and I found something smaller.  The Great Lakes rack needs
a good home.  No sides, though. :/