[Cialug] Wanted: Used Rackmount Server

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Tue Dec 20 12:40:29 CST 2011

I have two 1U Dell Poweredge 1750s, one with two xeon 2.8GHz processors, one with two 3.2GHz processors, one with 2GB of RAM, and one with 4GB of RAM.  They take SCSI U320 drives, and one has three 146GB 10K rpm drives and both have built-in RAID controllers.  These are both 32bit machines and neither have virtualization instructions, so they would not be very good for running virtual machines.

I also have a Sun Fire X2100 (not one of the M2 versions) that has one dual-core Opteron 180 (2.4GHz 64bit) and 4GB of RAM.  This machine didn't come with a hardware RAID controller, but it has two SATA hot-swap bays, so you can stuff any pair of consumer SATA drives in it and use mdadm in Linux to set up a software array.  I'm not sure if this Opteron CPU supports AMD's virtualization instructions.  You can have the 400GB and 500GB SATA drives that I have in it if you want them.

Two of these servers were given to me for free by the LUG group, so I wouldn't charge for them, but I have put some money into upgrading them, mostly in the RAM and drives.  I'd like to recoup some of that money if you want one of the machines I upgraded.  I did purchase the 3.2GHz 1750 from eBay for $150, so I'd sell it for $75 or whatever seems fair if you want that one.  In any case, you could have all three of the servers and a 21U rack for far less than $500.  I'd even sell you my fibre-channel array for super cheap!

If you're interested in anything, let me know.  I don't use them anymore because I can't really get to them very easily anymore.

-- Matt

Sent from my ASUS Transformer