[Cialug] Best way to host webservers at home

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 19 14:23:54 CST 2011

Yes, proxying like this is what I was thinking of. I didn't know if it was
easy or hard to do the wild card domains or not. That page you linked to on
squid gives an example of precisely this scenario.

Question for anyone: Considering the above would you use Squid or something
else? I know Apache and NGINX both do proxying of this type as well. Maybe
there's something else out there that may be even better.

What are your recommendations?

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Tom Pohl <tom at tcpconsulting.com> wrote:

> Actually, what Matt has described sounds more like reverse proxy which can
> be done with several different products, but here's a link for squid:
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/MultipleWebservers
>
> -Tom
>
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Eric Junker wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this will solve your problem, but Apache "Dynamically
> configured mass virtual hosting" may be useful to you
> >
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/mass.html
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > On 12/19/2011 10:05 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> >> Hello, I'd like to set up an environment at home where I can host
> >> multiple VMs (or maybe even an open stack setup) in order to expose web
> >> services to the public.
> >>
> >> I have one server that runs constantly, it could act as a proxy or
> >> forwarder. I have two more servers that will run virtual machines
> >> (virtualbox or openstack probably).
> >>
> >> The goal is to make staging and development easier. Therefore there are
> >> two varieties of sites I will run:
> >>
> >>  * "Production" type sites where a virtual machine runs a web server on
> >> port 80
> >>  * "Development" type sites where a Django or Rails site is running on
> >> port 8080 or 8000
> >>
> >> My intention is to point a wild-card domain to my home router
> >> (*.v5.iowatechies.com <http://v5.iowatechies.com>) and what I'd love is
> >> to be able to map *.x.v5.iowatechies.com <http://x.v5.iowatechies.com>.
> >> So for example, EC2 uses something like this for x: ec2-11-22-33-44
> >> (wich is a pointer to 11.22.33.44 IP address). I'd be happy with this
> >> but I'd love to be able to have multiple domains at each host, hence the
> >> wildcard *.x.v5.iowatechies.com <http://x.v5.iowatechies.com>.
> >>
> >> What would you recommend? And, for the record, imho, simpler is better
> >> than better.

Matthew Nuzum